Friday, April 23, 2010

Notes to the Lord:Mustard Trees and Me


Scripture Reflections: Matthew 13

31He told them another parable: "The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed, which a man took and planted in his field. 32Though it is the smallest of all your seeds, yet when it grows, it is the largest of garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come and perch in its branches."

Lord Jesus--You remind me that the Kingdom starts from small beginnings. It is not dramatic, it is not with trumpets, bells and whistles. It is a bit at a time... a little bit here and a little be there. It is all about roots growing unseen...unnoticed at times.

Growth results in changes that are required by that growth. The changes of growth are many. The plant can stand stressors that could never have been withstood at a younger...less mature place in development. Change will result in the ability to shelter what could have never been protected.

Another change that occurs is almost too simple...the plant that was a garden plant just takes over the garden...there is no room for anything else in the garden. What had been a part becomes the whole.

As I write this I am at overflow conference of the Free Methodist Church. Brian and Carol are with me...great people to travel with. Since I have been back in the Free Methodist fold I have not been at a conference where pastors from across the church were present.

I have notice changes that have occurred over the time frame since last I was a participant in a conference like this. I have met old friends who I have not seen in years. That is a good thing. I have noticed that I am now a part of the gray haired crowd. Ok...no shock there.

But the change that I notice more than anything is the diversity that makes up the group that I am a part of...diversity of language, diversity of expression, diversity of worship, diversity of culture, and diversity of perspective. We serve the same Lord.

Change unseen at some point becomes change experienced.

So bottom line it and make it personal...

Lord Jesus--You call me to faithful steady root, branch and leaf growth. I have to allow the garden plant to take over the garden maybe even the front yard. Will that require changes? Absolutely. I wonder if the mustard seed was amazed at the changes that that growth demanded and brought. I doubt it...it just grew.

Lord Jesus continue your growth in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment