Monday, July 27, 2009

Κύριος Notes

Adoration
Psalm 1
5 Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment,
nor sinners in the assembly of the righteous.
6 For the LORD watches over the way of the righteous,
but the way of the wicked will perish.

Scripture Reflections Luke 14:25-30
25Large crowds were traveling with Jesus, and turning to them he said: 26"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters—yes, even his own life—he cannot be my disciple. 27And anyone who does not carry his cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.

The cost to discipleship can be family, position and standing in the community...everything must be viewed within the context of the sacred. The sacred/secular distinction is a faulty one. Every action every word...every thought is subject to your will and direction. It is not comfortable to be a disciple at times...a cross was not a piece of jewelry in Your earthly ministry Lord Jesus. It was a instrument of death. Following you must be the most important thing in my life making me willing to risk physical health and life for you.

So much of the time I struggle with wanting to be liked...wanting to be accepted. Here you are saying that the cost of discipleship is sometimes rejection by the very people who count the most. Sometimes I think that I would like to make the grand gesture of sacrificing myself for the cause all at once, but instead I find myself being given away a bit at a time. Help me to do whatever small task you call me to do today with grace. Help me to say and do what you would have in the middle of the moment...with the pressures of time and energy available. Keep me focused on the priorities that are really important. Keep me open and responsive to the Holy Spirit's leading. In the middle of this day be my strength and the guardian of my way.

28"Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Will he not first sit down and estimate the cost to see if he has enough money to complete it? 29For if he lays the foundation and is not able to finish it, everyone who sees it will ridicule him, 30saying, 'This fellow began to build and was not able to finish.'

The cost estimate of following you Lord Jesus is everything thing that I am...and nothing less. The foundation is put in...and the building has begun...in fact truth be known the enterprise is half finished. This thing that you have called me to...doing life with You and with your people. Lord Jesus help me to use all of the resources that are left to finish well a life that You would take pleasure in.
31"Or suppose a king is about to go to war against another king. Will he not first sit down and consider whether he is able with ten thousand men to oppose the one coming against him with twenty thousand? 32If he is not able, he will send a delegation while the other is still a long way off and will ask for terms of peace. 33In the same way, any of you who does not give up everything he has cannot be my disciple.

The cost of discipleship is everything...that I am...everything that I hope to be...everything that you give...everything that comes along the journey. Blessings need to be held lightly...You give Lord and You ask me to be a channel of Your blessing a method or a means of following that blessing to the next person who needs it.

"Salt is good, but if it loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? 35It is fit neither for the soil nor for the manure pile; it is thrown out. "He who has ears to hear, let him hear."

Word of God speak...the distinctive of being your disciple is that you are the one who is in control. You are the one who guards and guides. Help me have ears that listen to your direction with out hesitation...not selectively...not just what I want to listen to...but anything that you say Lord Jesus...help me to hear with the ears that are tuned to your leadership.

No comments:

Post a Comment