Friday, July 31, 2009

Κύριος Notes

Adoration

Did You Feel The Mountains Tremble?
And we can see that God you're moving
A mighty river through the nations
And young and old will turn to Jesus
Fling wide your heavenly gates
Prepare the way of the risen Lord
Open up the doors and let the music play
Let the streets resound with singing
Songs that bring your hope
Songs that bring your joy
Dancers who dance upon injustice
Martin Smith

Scripture Reflections Luke 15
11Jesus continued: "There was a man who had two sons. 12The younger one said to his father, 'Father, give me my share of the estate.' So he divided his property between them.

How many times am I a "give me that" kind of son? As I begin to think of this parable Lord that is the first thought that just jumps out of the page at me. "Give me my share..." Lord if you really gave me my share I would be in deep distress. Without hope...

What kind of son would ask for something that only a dead father can give? An estate not yet bestowed but asked for...

13"Not long after that, the younger son got together all he had, set off for a distant country and there squandered his wealth in wild living.

I wonder if this young man already had his reservation in hand to the fast line when he asked for his Father's money in the first place.

Reservations are interesting. One of the roles of temptation seems to be not so much immediate destruction as incipient...gradual creeping crud. It just accumulates over time. Lord Jesus keep me safe from the evil one.


14After he had spent everything, there was a severe famine in that whole country, and he began to be in need. 15So he went and hired himself out to a citizen of that country, who sent him to his fields to feed pigs. 16He longed to fill his stomach with the pods that the pigs were eating, but no one gave him anything.

A prodigal Jewish boy feeding the pigs and eating their leftovers. The end result of rebellion is ending up far from home left with only the memories of the way it used to be.

Lord Jesus help me to be the kind of person who can welcome the prodigal son or daughter and help then on their way home.

17"When he came to his senses, he said, 'How many of my father's hired men have food to spare, and here I am starving to death! 18I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. 19I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired men.' 20So he got up and went to his father.

The beginning of the journey home began when this young man can to his senses. He "came to his sense" or hit bottom with no where to go but up. Lord Jesus sometimes it is the natural consequences of my choices that brings me face to face with your grace and my need.This journey home was not an easy trip to make...I am sure the first few steps back were the hardest, but with every step there was increased momentum.

"But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.

Lord Jesus this is the essence of what you have called your people to be...the parent who waits...the parent who longs for the return of the lost...the parent who takes no joy in the pound of flesh...or maybe even the 10 pounds of flesh that sins take from the returning lost one. Lord Jesus make me the kind of person who can receive the lost one who is returning from a far country with acceptance, grace and with unconditional love that knows the cost of coming home.

No comments:

Post a Comment