Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Κύριος Notes

 Adoration

We will break dividing walls 
We will break dividing walls          
We will break dividing walls 
in the name of your Son    
We will break dividing walls 
We will break dividing walls 
 And we will be one


Scripture Reflections:Luke 10 

  29But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, "And who is my neighbor?"
 
I would guess that this man really didn't care who was his neighbor...they were just empty words...it was his response to let himself off the hook.  He wanted to justify himself...not a bad description of my behavior times ...right in front of the Almighty.

Jesus responded with one of the most memorable of the parables.  A response to a cynic. 
 

 30In reply Jesus said: "A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he fell into the hands of robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. 31A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. 


The rule of thumb is anyone in need is our neighbor.  If I identify the need...can see the need then it becomes my call to address the need.  Maybe I can't fix the identified need but we can stop and not just walk by.


This priest saw the need and passed by on the other side.  People of God can not stay the people of God and ignore the need that surrounds them...I can not stay where I need to be with you Lord and ignore the need that surrounds me.  Lord give me eyes to see and a heart that seeks to respond.


32So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 


The situations that people end up in at times are not the result of irresponsibility...sometimes stuff happens.  Robbers attack...the wolf is at the door.  


It is interesting that neither the Jewish 2 men who pass by nor the Samaritan took an inventory of the why and how this man had left Jerusalem, what he did wrong that may have gotten him where he was...the priest and the the Levite both just didn't care.  Amazingly enough the Samaritan didn't care about the why of the story.  He just saw a wounded hurt man who needed help.


33But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. 34He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, took him to an inn and took care of him. 35The next day he took out two silver coins and gave them to the innkeeper. 'Look after him,' he said, 'and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.'


Samaritans and Jews had a long standing feud over worship place and style...to mention just a few of the differences.  Lord your point is clear...even the people who I see as much different that am...are neighbors.  Their needs call out to me. If I have your heart within me.


 36"Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?"

 37The expert in the law replied, "The one who had mercy on him."


Being a neighbor is not about location. Being a neighbor is about choice and allowing ourselves to feel others pain.  It is about responding to a need.  Lord Jesus this man could not even bear to say the word Samaritan...but he could see your point.


      Jesus told him, "Go and do likewise."


Lord Jesus in this day...help me to be aware of the walls that divide and that make identification of need more difficult.  Help me to see my neighbors more clearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment